Name: Ulrik Gether
Born: 1963.07.27 in Aalborg, Denmark.
Position: Professor of Neuropharmacology, Head of Department
1990: Doctor of Medicine, University of Copenhagen (UCPH).
2000: Dr. Med. Sc., UCPH. Thesis published as review in Endocrine Rev. (cited 979 times)
Appointments and Training
2017-: Professor of Neuropharmacology, Head of Department, Dep. of Neuroscience, UCPH
2015-2017 Professor of Neuropharmacology, Section Head, Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, UCPH, Denmark
2001-2015 Professor of Neuropharmacology, Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, UCPH, Denmark
1996-2001: Ole Rømer Associate Research Professor, Division of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Department of Medical Physiology, UCPH, Denmark
1993-1996: Howard Hughes Postdoctoral Fellow, Stanford University Medical School, California, U.S.A. (laboratory of Nobel Laureate, Prof. Brian Kobilka)
1991-1993: Research Fellow, Lab. of Mol. Endocrinology, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
1990: Internship at Department of Medicine, Hvidovre Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
1985-1990: Student in Dr. Thue W. Schwartz's laboratory, Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Selected Awards and Honors
1993: Fulbright Senior Scholarship
1998: Anna Bochardt’s Memorial Award
1998: Scientific Honorary Medal, Danish Society for Theoretical and Applied Therapy
2002: Elected Member of the Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters
2012: Recipient of ’Kirsten og Freddy Johansens Lægevidenskabelige Forskerpris 2012’
2015: Japan Society for the Promotion of Science - Invitation Fellowship (invited 15 days trip with visit to six universities and research institutes)
2017: Recipient of the Order of the Dannebrog from her Majesty the Queen of Denmark
2018: Recipient of ”HN Prisen 2018” (Familien Hede Nielsens Fond).
Selected Positions of Trust and Editorial Work
1996-: Ad hoc reviewer of manuscripts for Nature, Nature Neuroscience, Nature Structural and Molecular Biology, Nature Chemical Biology, Nature Communication, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences U.S.A. J. Neuroscience etc.
1999-: Numerous evaluation committees (PhDs, Drs. of Medical Sciences, Professorships) at Univ. of Copenhagen, Aarhus Univ., Karolinska, Oslo Univ., Linköping Univ.)
2000-2006: Board member, Danish Society for Pharmacology and Toxicology
2003-: Executive Committee Member, ‘Basic and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology’
2006-: Editorial Board Member, ‘Molecular Pharmacology’
2006-2010: Elected as Vice chair and Chair of the Gordon Research Conference on ‘Membrane Transport Proteins in 2008 and 2010, respectively
2008: Chairman of AERES Evaluation Committee responsible for review of and site-visit at CNRS/INSERM laboratory at Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris
2008-2011: Associate Editor ‘Pharmacology and Therapeutics’
2012-: Editorial Board, ‘Journal of Biological Chemistry’
2013-2018: Independent Research Fund Denmark | Medical Sciences (Danmarks Frie Forskningsfond, Rådet for Sundhed og Sygdom). Vice Chair: 2015-17, Chair: 2017-18.
2015-:2016 Member of Program Committee for FENS (Federation of European Neuroscience Societies) Forum 2016, July 2016, Copenhagen
Selected Other Scientific and Academic Activities
1993-: Invited speaker at ~80 international scientific meetings. Recent examples include:
- - Dopamine 2020, May 18-21, 2020, Montreal, Canada
- Winter Conference on Brain Research, Jan 28-Feb 2, 2019, Snowmass, Colorado
- 3rd Central European Biomedical Congress (CEBC), Krakow, Poland, September 15-18, 2018 (plenary lecture)
- Inaugural Conference of the International Transmembrane Transporter Society, Vienna, September 18-21, 2018
- Gordon Research Conference on Membrane Transport Proteins, Grand Summit Hotel at Sunday River, USA, June 10-15, 2018 (invited discussion leader)
- ASPET 18th Annual Meeting, Nancy Zahniser Memorial Symposium, San Diego, April 21-25, 2018
- 10th SFB35 Symposium on Transporters, Vienna, September 5-8, 2017
- ISN Brain in Flux Satellite Meeting, Maintenon, France, August 25-28, 2017
- BioMedical Transporters, Lausanne, Switzerland, August 6-10, 2017
- Dopamine 2016, Vienna, Austria, September 5-8, 2016
- Gordon Research Seminar and Conference on Membrane Transport Proteins, Il Ciocco, Italy, June 11-17, 2016 (key note speaker and invited speaker)
- Neuroscience Day, Aarhus University, May 4, 2016 (key note speaker)
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, Hollywood, Florida, Dec 6-10, 2015
- ISN Brain in Flux Satellite Meeting, Cairns, Australia, August 20-23, 2015
- Nordic Neuroscience 2015, Trondheim, Norway, June 10-12, 2015
- 81st Annual Congress of the German Society for Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Kiel, Germany, March 10-12, 2015
1992-: >60 guest lectures at universities and pharmaceutical companies
1999-2016: Partner in program project funded by the National Institute of Drugs Abuse under the NIH, U.S.A. (collaborators at Columbia, Vanderbilt and Cornell Universities)
2002-: Ad hoc reviewer of grants for Israeli Science Foundation, National Science Foundation, U.S.A., Austrian Science Foundation, NIH and Human Frontiers Science Program
2004: Co-organizer of Benzon Symposium No. 51 entitled: ‘Neurotransmitter transporters: Basal function and drug targets’.
2013: Co-organizer of Benzon Symposium No. 61 entitled: ‘Membrane proteins: structure, function and dynamics’, August 19-22 2013
2018: Co-organizer of “GPCR Pharmacology: The Next Generation”, Oct 31-Nov 2, The Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters Copenhagen
Leadership, Research Administration and Larger Grants
1996-: In charge of lab now counting 21 people (3 Assistant Professors, 3 post docs, 7 PhD students, 1 RA, 5 Master’s students and 2 techs). Supported by Independent Research Fund Denmark, Lundbeck Foundation, EU and Novo Nordisk Foundation.
2004-2009: Director of ‘Center for Pharmacogenomics’ DKK 25 M from Danish Research Councils
2008-2013: PI, UCPH Program of Excellence (‘Stjerneprogram’) on ‘Biomolecular Scaffolding of Neurotransmitter Receptors and Transporters’ (DKK 25 M)
2008-2013: Co-PI (one of four) on UNIK Center of Excellence grant entitled ‘Synthetic Biology’ and awarded DKK 120 M from 2009-2014 (Director Prof. B. Lindberg Møller).
2010-2015: Director of ‘Lundbeck Foundation Center for Biomembranes in Nanomedicine’ (together with Dr. Dimitrios Stamou) awarded DKK 34 M from 2010-2015.
2013-2017: PI, UCPH KU2016 Program of Excellence ‘Attention to Dopamine…’, - DKK 19 M
2017-2020: PI for "Larger biomedical Project", Lundbeck Foundation, DKK 10 M
2019-2022: PI for thematic grant “What causes Brain Disease", Lundbeckfonden, DKK 10 M
Selected Teaching and Supervision
1996-: Since 1996 main supervisor for 30 post docs, 32 PhD student and 37 MS students.
1996- : Pregraduate teaching in physiology and pharmacology (medical/human biology students), including >1000 hours of lectures/class teaching.