Our lab has developed a broad experimental repertoire, that includes:
- Production of transgenic mice lines: Vglut2Cre (Borgius et al. 2010), Vglut2GFP (Calderia et al. 2017), Vglut2ChR2 (Hagglund et al. 2010), Hoxb8Flipo, R26CAGfrt/stop/flxstopGaMP3 tailored for the locomotor experiments.
- Application of genetically driven tracing: trans-synaptic tracing with attenuated rabies/AAV.
- mRNA seq of interneurons in the spinal cord.
- In vitro electrophysiology in isolated spinal cord-brainstem, including calcium- imaging and optogenetics.
- Gait analyses.
- In vivo electrophysiology, optogenetic, chemogenetic, and motor neurobehavioral analyses of acute and chronic perturbations (MotoRater; open field, treadmill etc).
- Clarity-clearing of tissue and imaging.
- In situ hybridization.
These tools provide a solid basis for the sophisticated functional and network studies needed to understand the principal mode of operation of a large-scale mammalian motor circuits.